Leadership – That Tool That Lies Betw...
Leadership – That Tool That Lies Between Juggling and Magic
Juggling is a verb defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as: to keep several objects in motion in the air at the same time by repeatedly throwing and catching them.
Magic is a noun meaning: a power that allows people to do impossible things by saying special words or performing special actions.
Leadership is that topic that, alphabetically, finds itself between these two, and often is confused with them. As evidenced by these questions and replies often asked of, and heard from, leaders: "What are you doing? I'm just keeping balls in the air" or "How did we make that happen? Magic."
Bringing his 40 years of military and business expertise to groups around the globe ranging from 40 to 4,000, Major General Vincent "Vinny" Boles provides a lens to view your (and your team's) leadership practices, processes and actions. He works to create a structure to ensure they are consciously and proactively providing the maximum value added to your organization's most precious resource: its human capital.
The five things your team needs to learn upfront and early, including:
• What your job isn't
• Spot checks vs inspections
• Management doesn't equal leadership
• When to (and when not to micromanage)
• Understanding the challenge of change
How to really help those you lead, specifically:
• When do you smile?
• Coaching and counseling in 15 minutes
• Handling news (good and bad) to ensure your "best gets better"
• The two aspects critical in every job interview
• Feedback - giving it as a gift, receiving it as a present
How to really help yourself be a better leader, including:
• Four things you have to do every day (and what happens when you don't)
• Don't learn from experience
• The model to manage your meetings
• Work life balance is an equation (balance is a function of how you use your 24 hours - on important or urgent tasks)
• The most important thing a leader can do
You and your team will leave with reality-based, battle-tested tools to ensure they aren't wondering if they are "juggling" or "magically" having things happen. Instead, they'll be making the best things happen and in the process being the best they can be for themselves and your organization.